> Christmas Tips

Christmas Tips

Christmas Tips

During the Christmas period, people like to decorate their homes. They have lovely place settings at the table, a beautiful Christmas tree, candles, and even table decorations. Please note: These decorations may put your pet at risk. We are here to give you our top tips for making Christmas a nice time for everyone!!


Mistletoe and Holly are often used as part of the Christmas decorations. However, the berries on these plants are toxic to pets. Poinsettia and snow roses can also cause problems. Please find a brief overview below:

  • Poinsettia ( Euphorbia pulcherrima) can cause gastrointestinal problems, such as vomiting and not wanting to eat, and lethargy.
  • Holly (Ilex aquifolium) can cause gastrointestinal problems (salivating, vomiting, diarrhoea, loss of appetite) when consumed in large quantities. These symptoms are generally temporary.
  • Snow rose (Helleborus niger) is also quite toxic. It contains natural cardiac glycosides that make the heart beat more forcefully. Like the other plants, intake can cause gastrointestinal problems, but may also lead to drowsiness, paralysis and cardiac arrhythmias.

Should your pet eat any of these plants, or ingest anything else that causes concern, please contact your veterinarian.

Christmas Tree

Did you know that pine needles are toxic? So keep a close eye on any needles that fall on the floor. Make sure that your pet cannot eat these needles and do not put their food or water bowl too close to the Christmas tree.

Decorations that are hung in the Christmas tree, such as (glass) baubles, tinsel and light cords can be very appealing to your pet and may be seen as toys. Please keep these decorations out of your pet's reach.


Take care when using various food products that are not intended for pets.

For example, chocolate is toxic to your pet as it contains theobromine. Dark chocolate contains the highest proportion of theobromine. Chocolate poisoning can cause gastrointestinal problems as well as excitement, restlessness and muscle spasms. In serious cases, it can even lead to epilepsy, cardiac arrhythmia and breathing problems, resulting in death. That is why you should make sure that your pet cannot access boxes of chocolates, chocolates in your Christmas tree or any products containing chocolate.

In addition, you should take care not to leave any food packaging, bones, champagne corks and the like lying around, as these can be eaten and could cause blockages in the bowel.

Finally, We wish you a (safe and) happy Christmas!

Share this article

Vetsend uses cookies which enables us to help you in a better and more personal way. These cookies allow us and external parties to follow your internet behaviour. Furthermore, this enables us to show you personalised advertisements, a better functioning website and creates the opportunity for you to share information on social media. By continuing on our website, you will agree to these terms. Read more Close