Dental diet for dogs and cats
If your pet has a toothache, would you be able to recognise it? Just like humans, pets can experience dental problems. You can usually recognise this by a really bad breath – but don’t most pet owners complain about this? If your pet has a serious dental problem, there’s an 80% change that it is caused by plaque and tartar.
Dental plaque is made up of a combination of saliva, food remains, oral bacteria and cells from the lining of the mouth. The bacteria multiply if the plaque isn’t regularly brushed off, which means that a thin layer stays behind on the surface of your pet’s teeth. This can eventually result in gum disease.
If dental plaque is not removed in time, it can harden into tartar by reacting to the minerals in your pet's saliva. Tartar is a yellowish-brown stain on your dog's or cat's teeth. This will get firmly stuck to your pet’s teeth and can no longer be removed with a toothbrush.
How can a dental diet for dogs or cats help?
Specific dog diets often help in three ways:
- 1. The carefully formulated recipe reduces the build-up of plaque and tartar. A dental diet for pets often contains specific active ingredients, like sodium polyphosphate, that decrease the chance of plaque turning into tartar.
- 2. The adapted shape, size and structure of the kibble produce a gentle, abrasive effect on the teeth. This means that your pet’s teeth get polished while she eats minimising the plaque formation.
- 3. Many of these diets include ingredients like lysozyme and lactoferrin, which have an anti-bacterial effect. The addition of an ingredient like eucalyptus oil results in a fresh breath, while vitamin C, vitamin E and green tea extracts help boost the immune system.
Of course, the best dental care solution is brushing your pet’s teeth regularly. This will help prevent the build-up of plaque and tartar, but it also allows you to check your pet’s teeth on irregularities. This way you can prevent infections and serious dental issues.
Popular dental health diets for pets
Now that you know how your pet can benefit from dental diets, you might want to take an actual look at the diets. If you don’t know where to stary, you can explore some of the popular dental support diets down below:
- Royal Canin Dental Dog and Royal Canin Dental Cat
- Hill's Dental Care Dog and Hill's Dental Care Cat
- TROVET Dental Dog
Interested in more information regarding your pet's dental health? Read our article on Pet Dental Health Month.